The Apollo legacy
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. When Neil Armstrong spoke his famous quote, the time was 2:56 UTC, July 21st, 1969. For nearly half a century, we haven't yet sent any human being back to the moon since the Apollo program.
Apollo missions sent 12 US astronauts walking on the moon successfully. It is an expensive space program, in today's value, is about US$18 billions for each successful landing mission.
Space mission project by Blue Energy Australia depends on crowd funding. It has incremental milestones that are financial and business sustainable. Blue Energy innovation in space technology can massively reduce cost and to do more. Blue Energy Australia wants to test various new and important technologies and practices for future space programs.
Blue Energy space program agendas and objectives.
- Energy efficiency management for space environment
- Buoyancy propulsion engine performance in atmosphere and vacuum space
- Energy harvesting and storage in space
- Fast space travel with long duration and constant 1g/-1g in a mission
- Business models that aim on scientific research, colonies on the moon and Mars for long term and tourism business
- Global spirits of peaceful cooperation and exploration
- Inspiration of future generation
- Regular interstellar unmanned SOL space missions to nearby star system
Blue Energy Lunar and Martian rocks mining and manned missions
Following steps are crowd funded space programs. They can be unmanned missions or manned missions. Blue Energy will build a tourism business to make this program financially self-sustained.
Step one - Moon Rock mining mission:
After years of R&D in space technology, Blue Energy Australia has the solutions for low cost and fast journey propulsion technologies. It is a VTOL powered by BEBE. Ideally, this VTOL thermal energy management system will be handled by BETE. Blue Energy Buoyancy Engine (BEBE) is the engine to provide propulsion, aiming 1 g acceleration and 1 g deceleration. The total travel time to the Moon with 1g/-1g will be three hours.
- We expect thermal energy management system is quite similar to any application highlighted in other projects BETE is used. Each mission, the spaceship will use solar energy to create 1g acceleration for 192200 Km, and then -1g for 192200 Km. The maximum velocity a space vehicle can achieve is roughly 62 Km/second. Solar energy can supply electricity for BEBE to achieve fast journey in between Earth and the Moon. During these missions, solar energy can be harvested by BETE. BETE converts heat energy into electricity, as if an off grid household on Earth would do. In the mean time, excessive electricity can be stored as fuel or/and charge battery. We prefer water, hydrogen and oxygen as fuel energy mediums. Many off-the-shelf technologies, products can be used to build the VTOL vehicles.
- Alternatively a solar panel and battery system will provide electricity power for the mission. It will be less complicated system, which is also reliable. But the energy stored by battery is limited by the energy density.
Total propellant required for a mission depends on many factors of BEBE. As long as there is energy to create buoyancy effect, the propellant lost is minimum. A space probe with 1 ton mass will need 1/1,000,000 of mass as propellant. This space vehicle will not have conventional heat shelter, or insulation material similar to other space probes in order to avoid heat damage during re-entry Earth atmosphere. Active anti-gravity propulsion will offset Earth gravity pull to make vertical take off and landing like a helium balloon.
We have design on the drawing board. We will build at least one VTOL mining vehicle. This vehicle can work as return, high frequency service space probe. Once our membership subscription, philanthropy contribution, naming right from corporations' sponsorship and other avenue to hit AU$100,000, we will build this VTOL. Apart from membership contribution, Blue Energy Australia will also seek funding from venture capital investment, sovereign grant, other avenue of web crowd funding, corporate sponsorship.
Luna rock mining will be done by the space probe itself. We initially considered a land rover that would be offloaded by the VTOL. The rover then roaming on the Moon to pick up rock. But this is overly complicated. The space probe, launched from the Earth, will hover above the Luna surface for possible rocks. Once a rock is chosen, the vehicle will simply use robotic hand to pick up the object and place into a storage unit. The solar panel and battery shall keep the mining operation as long as necessary. An operator in a control center on Earth will instruct the operation. These mining probes can survey the mining site according to central command instruction from Earth.
SWAN members have the priority to claim rocks, according to the financial pledge they make for the missions. We will use global auction website such as EBay to allow market force to decides true value of each earmarked large rock. For permanent members of SoBEIT, SWAN members, we will give each member one FREE moon rock of no more than one gram of weight on Earth. SWAN members who provide funding will have priority in claiming. The condition is that you have to pick up your moon rock in our office, along with an official certificate. Any feature or service by any member for a Moon rock incurs additional charge. We will design a web page to allow members to pick their prefer rock, which will be decided by the condition when fee is paid.
For members who wish to outright prepaid larger moon rock, our price is AU$1 per gram of Earth weight. This condition is explained within SWAN membership form. This option will be terminated once VTOL construction begins. But normal membership subscription will not be suspended in order to raise further working capital.
Ship body, from external to internal, is available for sponsors naming right and logo positions. During each mission, live view cameras are fitted in various positions to allow internet access. Bigger VTOL mining vehicles can also search Luna surface for large rocks, of which the smaller Luna probes would unable to handle. We hope to make this mission interactive and interesting.
Luna VTOL mining vehicles can work for Martian mission. But the time delay is a problem for operators on Earth. Autonomous operation would need enough resource and collaboration to develop. As a result, the cost for Martian rocks is set to 100 time higher than Luna rock.
Step two - Large VTOL for manned missions
Once step one helps us to raise enough working capital, step two, to design a bigger VTOL vehicle for manned missions will be triggered. This large space vehicle will be at least 50 to 200 tons. In reality, it has to be 1000 of tons. The VTOL must have very thick protection shield made by steel and concrete. Multiple VTOL will be built. For each mission, standby VTOL spaceships will be ready for emergency rescue if a vehicle with crew on board is in trouble. The most unlikely event is hitting any object at such high speed. For a mission to Mars when the distance is at nearest, say 60 million KM, the maximum velocity is 774 Km/second. We need public advise on what technologies can detect such hazardous objects by the spaceship on routes to Mars and back to Earth.
We will design this ship for three objectives:
- Earth go around tourism business: This space ship can carry up to 25 passengers and 5 crews members to fly at earth orbital speed at 100 km altitude, which is about 7.8 km/second. We can also collaborate with existing airline companies for business operation. Big jet aircraft can be fitted with with many BEBE, which offer great hybrid function for people want domestic and/or international flights as well as enjoy ZERO gravity experience. A conventional jet engine powered passenger aircraft can only fly at 12,000 meters altitude. With BEBE, aerodynamic is not valid because the atmosphere is at this altitude is less than 3 of a million of sea level air pressure.People on board will enjoy 80 minutes or longer duration of weightless journey. Currently, Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic is offering US$250,000 of ticket price to people who can enjoy 10 minutes of free fall. Our goal in this business is to generate funding to support our space R&D programs. We hope to sell 5000 prepaid special rate tickets at US$1000 per ticket to our SWAN members. Once this business is set up, we will price this service at market value. To our members who fund our venture, 1% FREE ticket out of total commercial sale will be randomly offered to our SWAN members. If global market shows bigger demand, we will expand this recreational business outside Australia through any commercially viable joint venture.
- Lunar missions: Space ships similar but bigger than Luna rocks mining vehicles can offer journey to the Moon and back safely for astronauts. To harvest external energy, the spaceship will have fold-able solar thermal panel, which can be fully retractable into ship fuselage. Moon rock mining will give us better understanding to build safe and efficient space vehicles. Because this type of journey has crew inside, life support system will be paramount. We hope by this stage, many space agencies around the world will show great interest to participate our venture. Blue Energy Australia will try to solicit funding resource based on sovereign nature, or VC, as long as the funding condition meets our need, independent, IP ownership and spirit of peaceful objective. Likewise, we will have naming right offered to sponsors to each ship built. A fleet of vehicles will eventually help us to develop Lunar tourist business.
- Unmanned and manned Mars return missions: This is mission designed for fast journey to Mars. To do so, each spaceship must have 1g/-1g propulsion for the entire journey. Lunar mining vehicles are fully ready as Martian sample return missions vehicles. Common practice in Mars exploration requires window opportunities when its synodic period with Earth happens at intervals of approximately two years and two months. Because our technologies focus on energy efficiency from three aspects,thermal energy management on fuel, external energy from solar, propellant efficiency based on buoyancy effect, we think we can completely ignore such "window opportunity" and cut journey time to much shorter period. Fast journey requires reliable "break" system to decelerate, otherwise, the vehicle will be thrown out into deep space. The challenge here is the distance of Mars, a factor of which solar energy decrease according to the law of square-inverse. Space missions with reliable energy harvesting system will be the key to the mission success. The longest travel time from Earth to Mars, based on 1 g acceleration and -1g deceleration, is about 4 days and 16 hours. A lot of challenges for conventional manned mission to Mars will not be the problems. For example, the food and water it carries will not be big. Crew members are in constant artificial gravity environment because of the 1g/-1g condition. Heavy shield can be more than 1 meter of thickness to protect crew members from solar and terrestrial radiation all the time. Eventually, daily, or multi flight everyday will be achieved. All the colonies architecture will be built on Earth, and then be flown to Mars with the help of BEBE. In the short term, food and water and other essential goods will be delivered to Mars from Earth with very low cost involved.