The Apollo legacy
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. When Neil Armstrong spoke his famous quote, the time was 2:56 UTC, July 21st, 1969. For nearly half a century, we haven't yet sent any human being back to the moon since the Apollo program.
(Image source: Wikipedia)
Apollo missions sent 12 US astronauts walking on the moon successfully. Total cost in today's value, is about US$18 billions for each successful landing mission.
Our goal in this project depends on successful crowd funded and incremental milestones that are financial and business sustainable. Blue Energy innovation will spend far less money to do more. Blue Energy Australia wants to test various new and important technologies and practices of future space programs, with following objectives.
- Energy efficiency in thermal energy management for space program
- Buoyancy propulsion engine performance within atmosphere and vacuum space
- Energy harvesting and storage in space
- Fast speed space travel with performance well above rocket engine potential
- Business models that aims on research and tourism
- Global spirits of peaceful cooperation and exploration
- Inspiration of future generation
- Human habitats expansion beyond Earth
- Be prepared for manned Martian missions similar to Lunar missions
Blue Energy Lunar programs, Martian sample return program
Following steps are crowd funded Lunar programs from unmanned missions to manned missions. Blue Energy will have a tourist business to make this program financially self-sustained.
Step one - Moon Rock mining mission:
Blue Energy Australia will design an unmanned mother ship up to five tons Earth landing weight, which is designed for VTOL. The thermal energy management system will be handled by BETE. We expect energy exchange within thermal management system is quite similar to any application highlighted in other projects BETE deployed. The main difference is that solar energy is the main source externally to power buoyancy engines for fast transit journey in between Earth orbit and Lunar orbit. During this transition, solar energy will also be harvested by BETE through fuel production to store solar energy. We prefer water, hydrogen and oxygen as fuel energy mediums. Many off-the-shelf technologies, products can be used in this mission.
Solar heat concentration panel, one of our proprietary designs, will harvest heat from the Sun during the fly mission. Detail of how much energy will be shared between BEBE to sustain propulsion and BETE to provide energy of propulsion and energy storage is still on concepts development. Total energy medium mass is less than 10% of total vehicle mass. This space vehicle will not have conventional heat shelter, or insulation tiles similar to Space shuttles in order to prevent heat damage during re-entry Earth atmosphere. Active anti-gravity propulsion will offset Earth gravity pull to make very small entry angles. We will design active cooling system, nonetheless, on ship body to harvest any heat energy that might be generated.
We design this mother ship for return, high frequency service technology mainly in house, once our membership fee, philanthropy contribution, naming right from corporations' sponsorship and other avenue to hit AU$100,000. Apart from membership contribution, Blue Energy Australia will also seek funding from venture capital investment, sovereign grant, other avenue of web crowd funding, corporate sponsorship.
Lunar rock mining robotic vehicles will be offloaded by mother ship in various Lunar surface. These robotic vehicles can survey the mining site according to central command based in Australia. Energy management on the robotic vehicles is quite similar to other land transport project mentioned in this website. We will design electronic system linked with global auction website such as EBay to allow market force to decides true value of each earmarked large rock harvested. For permanent members of SoBEIT, we will give each member one FREE moon rock of no more than one gram of weight on Earth. The condition is that you have to pick up your choice of moon rock in our office with an official certificate. Any feature or service by our member requires additional cost. We will design a webpage to allow members to pick their prefer rock, which will be decided by the date when membership is paid.
For members who wish to outright prepaid larger moon rock, our price is US$100 per extra gram of Earth weight. This function will be terminated once this step of project begins. But normal membership subscription will not be suspended in order to raise further working capital. Ship body, from external to internal, will be available for corporate to bid for their naming right and logo positions. We will, during the mission, to have extensive live view cameras fitted in various positions to allow internet access. Mother ship can also search Lunar surface for large rock mining mission, which the robotic vehicles are unable to handle. We hope to make this mission interactive and interesting.
Step two - Large VTOL
Once step one helps us to raise enough working capital, to design a bigger ship for manned mission will be triggered. This large space vehicle will be a 50 to 200 tons of VTOL. More likely, more than one will be built.
We will design this ship for three objectives:
- Earth go around tourists mission. This space ship can carry up to 10 passengers and 5 crews members to fly at earth orbital speed at 100 km altitude, which is about 7.8 km/second. At this height, space ship will use active heat exchange system to absorb heat generated by thin atmosphere friction against vehicle body, and feed that energy for propulsion. If any extra energy is required, fuel will supply that shortfall. People onboard will be experiencing 80 minutes of weightless journey. Currently, Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic is offering US$250,000 of ticket price to people who can enjoy 10 minutes of free fall. Our mission in this step is to create a business that will become funding avenue to support our space R&D endeavour. We hope to sell 500 prepaid special rate tickets at 10% price offered by Virgin Galactic to our permanent members. As an incentive, each ticket subscribers will receive a FREE lunar rock about 100 grams of Earth weight, which is subject to availability when ticket price is paid. Once this business is set up, we will price this service at market value. To our permanent members who fund our venture, 1% FREE ticket out of total commercial sale will be randomly offers to our SoBEIT permanent members. At this stage, if global market shows bigger demand, we will expand this recreational business outside Australia through any commercial viable venture.
- Lunar missions: This space ship, similar to moon mining vehicle, can extend its journey to the Moon and back safely. For external energy harvesting, we incorporate fold-able solar thermal panel with 100 KW per ton of ship mass ratio fully packed up inside ship fuselage during acceleration with Earth atmosphere. Moon rock mining will give us better idea of great challenge at this stage. Because this mission has crew inside, life support system will be paramount for each mission. We hope by this stage, many space agencies around the world will show great interest to participate our venture. Blue Energy Australia will try to solicit funding resource based on sovereign nature, or VC, as long as the funding condition meets our need, independent, IP ownership and spirit of peaceful objective. Likewise, we will have naming right offered to sponsors to each ship built. A fleet of vehicles will eventually help us to develop Lunar tourist business.
- Unmanned Mars return missions: This is mission designed to test fast journey to Mars using long duration of propulsion based on buoyancy engine technology to accelerate or decelerate. Lunar ships are fully qualified to Martian sample return mission. Common practice in Mars exploration requires window opportunities when its synodic period with Earth happens at intervals of approximately two years and two months. Because our technologies focus on energy efficiency from three aspects,thermal energy management on fuel, external energy from solar, propellant efficiency based on buoyancy effect, we think we can completely ignore such "window opportunity" and cut journey time to much shorter period. Fast journey requires reliable "break" system to decelerate, otherwise, the vehicle will be thrown out into deep space. The challenge here is the distance of Mars, a factor of which solar energy decrease according to the law of square-inverse. Space ship energy harvesting system design will be the key to the mission success. Sample returns will be the main objective. This mission helps us to find better design for a manned Martian project that follows.